Top 5 Things to Do in Punxsutawney for Groundhog Day
Groundhog Day is the beloved quirky holiday sure to be at the top of any Happy Traveler’s bucket list. Whether Punxsutawney Phil is predicting an early spring or six more weeks of winter, the longstanding tradition attracts thousands of visitors to see Pennsylvania’s famous groundhog and weather expert.
There is so much to see and do in Punxsutawney year round beyond celebrating Groundhog Day. Here’s our top 5 things to do if you plan to visit this iconic small town:
- Learn about weather forecasting at the Weather Discovery Center. Visitors of all ages can participate in hands-on exhibits to learn about the technology and folklore behind predicting and studying the weather.
- You can’t visit Punxsutawney without seeing where Phil lives year-round! Visit Phil’s Burrow at the Punxsutawney Memorial Library.
- Learn all about the 132-year history of Groundhog Day by viewing rare items and memorabilia at The GHC Headquarters.
- Did you know there’s a Groundhog Wine Trail? Experience 17 wineries packed with award-winning wines and beautiful scenery.
- And last but not least, take a selfie at Gobbler’s Knob, the famous place where Punxsutawney Phil makes his annual prediction!
Continue exploring the area nearby Punxsutawney by heading to Indiana County. Located just a short drive from Gobbler’s Knob, Indiana has many attractions to explore - including the area’s newest craft breweries, Levity and Noble Stein, in addition to Disobedient Distillery. And groundhogs aren't the only stars in Western PA! Visit the Jimmy Stewart Museum for an in-depth look at the Hollywood icon and Indiana native.